Monday, June 22, 2009

Bhut Jolokia The Hottest Chili In World

Bhut  Jolokia a  Chili Pepper  Which  Grows  In  Assam  Region  Of  NE India  Is  Confirmed  by  Guinness World  Records  To  Be  The  Hottest  Chili  In  World in the year  2007,replacing Red -Savina SHU scale (.Scoville Hotness Scale is used for testing its hotness) which comes to near a million as double compared to 577,000 SHU of Red Savina.

It has many names like ghost chili,california death pepper,naga chili etc.We had a plant of bhut jolokia at our house ,but since my kids started playing too much near the plant we uprooted it..Once our one of the house staff Mahendra insisted on preparing a vegetable curry by adding just one of these.We had to throw the curry. as it was too hot . As the curry   touched the mouth a very fierce burning sensation was felt..But this amazing 26 year old lady named Anandita  Dutta  Tamuly ate 51 of these to claim a place in guinness world record book in April 2009....Chef  Ramsey (hell's kitchen fame)who was in India at the time for filming a channel four programme



too witnessed this and was completely awestruck as he could manage to eat only one and screamingly asked for water before yelling"ITS TOO MUCH".Apart from its hotness this chili is believed to have some medicinal benefits like curing some stomach ailments,helpful in relieving flu symptoms etc.In many parts of ne India fences are smeared with this chili is used in smoked bombs to keep wild elephants away.

Updates ... in last few years the title of world's hottest chili has seen many changes ,in fact it is in a very controversial stage now .To know more read this great article

Naga Morich and the quest for the world's hottest pepper ,


9 comments:

  1. Sheesh! You learn something new every day. I once ate some HOT curry at a Thai restaurant -- despite requesting MEDIUM heat. I could not finish the meal, because the spice was so unpleasant. Many Thai eat the chili peppers plain and by themselves. They must have tongues of steel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fascinating info, I love learning more about your country and its culture. We had a chile called habineros that are very hot...used in Mexican food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as though they are strong enough if you get the juice from them on your hands, you would have problems. I like Hot Sour Soup, and Kung Pao Chicken, but it has nothing like that type of chili pepper in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in no way, I would put this in my meals. too hot for me but I have to agree that chili brings a lot of flavor

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hate chillies in my curries,but we andhra's use too much of chillies.
    Heard abt this chillies but never know the anandita duta ate and entered guinness word record

    They look so tiny yet powerfull

    ReplyDelete
  6. ya..interesting info about chillies..but me and chillies are 5,000 miles away...lol..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chillies and it is one of your best post I felt.Without chilly I cannot eat food.I have green chilly plant and its really hot.This red chilly cannot be compared with other chillies, oh I love very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love, i mean love, hot peppers! i love spicy foods also!! my friends think i'm crazy. i would give it a try. i thought the haberno pepper was one of the hottest in the world.

    ReplyDelete